The Bethel Community Gazette
The Bethel Community Gazette
Friday, September 20, 2019 • HomeArts DiningNews AdvertiseSubscribe

Classes Resume At High School After Gas Leak

Updated 1/3/2019

Classes resumed on Thursday, January 3rd after the Bethel High School was evacuated at 7:30 a.m. on Wednesday, January 2, 2019, the first day back from winter break, when staff discovered a gas leak, later determined to be from a valve, that was spread into the building by the HVAC system.

The Bethel Fire Department and gas company responded.

Students were sent to the nearby Bethel Middle School and Berry Elementary School, and then excused for the day to allow crews to repair the leak and vent the building.

Bethel School Superintendent Christine Carver said "Certainly we don't like our students missing the instructional time, but we always air on the side of safety,".

Classes are expected to resume on Thursday and the repairs are not expected to be a significant expense.

This story has been updated to reflect new information about the source of the leak at a valve, initially believed to be from a rooftop unit.


Weather






A proud member of the Bethel Chamber of Commerce

Click here to learn how you can grow your business, too.
Published by Publishing Partners Group, LLC
A Member of The Bethel Chamber of Commerce, The National Newspaper Association and the Society of Professional Journalists